It’s time to confront 2 of the most popular hair supplements I know – Nutrafol VS Viviscal.
They both look like excellent products – with many praises and positive results. But:
- Which can regrow new hairs and stop shedding?
- Which works better on the long term?
- And lastly – which is a better deal overall?
I tested it out both supplements – so I know pretty well what they can do.
Note: This review is based on my experience + research on these 2 products.
Nutrafol Or Viviscal? (In A Nutshell)
Honestly, Viviscal is slightly better in several chapters:
- Lower price
- More clinical trials behind
- More satisfied customers
- Smaller pills and lower dosage
Nutrafol is also an excellent product – but it’s only affordable for higher budgets.
Viviscal isn’t very cheap either – but $50 is still less than $88 (Nutrafol).
If you’re looking for an affordable product that works just as well as these 2, take a look at my #1 recommendation. You can get it even for $18 per bottle, which is so little.
But out of these 2, my recommendation is probably Viviscal.
#1 – Ingredients – WINNER: Nutrafol
In my opinion, Nutrafol’s formula is much better:
- twice as many ingredients
- contains herbal extracts with many studies behind
- not based on just 1 ingredient
But let me give you more details about each of these 2.
Note: I analyzed the ingredients/dosages per serving (not per pill). Nutrafol’s serving is 4 pills, while Viviscal’s is just 2.
1. Nutrafol’s Ingredients
As I said in my initial review, Nutrafol has an amazing formula.
It contains 3 major blends (with over 7 ingredients each):
- Nutrafol Blend (530 mg): Horsetail, Capsimax , amino acids, etc.
- Synergen Complex (1720 mg): Saw Palmetto , Marine Collagen, Ashwagandha, etc.
- Vitamins + Minerals: Biotin, Zinc , Vitamin C, etc.
The only downside is there are no dosages for each substance.
Only the blend dosage is mentioned (which isn’t really amazing).
But other than that – Nutrafol has one of the best formulas I personally know.
2. Viviscal’s Ingredients
Unlike Nutrafol – Viviscal is based on a certain ingredient (AminoMar):
- made of shark cartilage and oyster powder
- promotes hair growth and thickening
So basically – AminoMar is the main responsible for Viviscal’s effect.
Other than that, the rest of the ingredients aren’t amazing:
- Vitamins + Minerals: Biotin, Niacin , Iron, Zinc, etc.
- Herbal Extracts: Horsetail, Millet Seed 
In terms of herbs, Viviscal is pretty far from Nutrafol.
The vitamins and minerals are about the same, though.
If you put them face to face – Nutrafol has a better formula compared to Viviscal:
- N contains lots of herbs and blends
- V is rather focused on one ingredient (AminoMar)
Now – Viviscal’s ingredients are surely not weak, on the contrary.
#2 – Pills & Doses – WINNER: Viviscal
When it comes to how you should take the pills – Viviscal has a clear advantage:
- smaller pills
- serving size is lower
But let me explain better by taking them by turn.
If you’re familiar with turmeric pills – well, that’s exactly how Nutrafol’s capsules look like:
- rectangular shape
- average dimensions
- covered in transparent gelatin
- you can see some orange powder inside
So far so good. But the real problem of Nutrafol is schedule.
You need to take 4 pills per day – which is really uncomfortable.
Compared to Nutrafol – it’s much easier to take:
- pills are small and have a round shape
- you can swallow them easily
- only 2 pills per day
So a major advantage of Viviscal is that it’s really comfortable to use.
Only 2 pills every day and you’re done.
Viviscal’s pills are smaller and it also requires only 2 per day.
On the other hand – with Nutrafol, you need 4 pills daily (which is a lot).
#3 – My Results – WINNER: Nutrafol
In my case, Nutrafol ended up working a bit better.
Viviscal was pretty close – but I wasn’t as satisfied as I was with Nutrafol.
Here’s my detailed experience with each.
1) These are only my results (so they’re no general). I will also analyze other people’s results later on.
2) My background was shedding, thin ends and I also wanted to grow my hair longer.
I used it for 2 months and the results were great for this period:
- Shedding decreased with about 70%.
- My roots looked thicker and had more volume.
- It grew a lot in these 2 months (almost 4-5 inches).
- My ends were still pretty thin.
- Hair was less fragile overall.
So in terms of effect, I was 90% satisfied.
Nutrafol is surely a supplement I would use constantly (if it wasn’t for the high price).
It was extremely helpful, I can’t lie about that.
I used it for longer than Nutrafol – 3 months.
However, the effect wasn’t really that good (even though it wasn’t far):
- Hair loss decreased a lot (about 80%).
- My ends were still thin, but wouldn’t break so easily.
- I noticed more volume at the roots.
- Growth speed wasn’t very fast.
In the end, I was about 75% satisfied.
Basically – Viviscal worked as well as Nutrafol, except for 1 thing – hair growth.
My hair grew in 3 months with Viviscal as much as in 2 months with Nutrafol.
Both supplements were pretty close in terms of effect.
But Nutrafol made my hair grow faster – so I pick it as the winner here.
#4 – How Fast They Work – DRAW
In my case, there wasn’t any big difference.
Both Viviscal and Nutrafol worked pretty fast – faster than I expected, actually.
As I said – I used 2 full bottles. That’s enough for 2 months:
- started working after 3-4 weeks
- I could see real changes after 6 weeks
- continued to work well enough afterwards
In my opinion – 1 month is pretty fast (compared to other products I tried).
Not many supplement can start working so quick. So I was really satisfied with Nutrafol.
Compared to Nutrafol, I took it for a longer time (3 months).
However – I could see an improvement after about the same time as in Nutrafol:
- started working from the first month
- changes were pretty small at first
- in the 3rd month, my shedding had decreased a lot
- the effect was better now
One thing I like about Viviscal was that it didn’t stop working. And it’s the same for Nutrafol.
Other products would work up to a point, then their effect would decrease.
Well – it wasn’t the case here.
I can’t really make a difference between Nutrafol and Viviscal here:
- both started working after 1 month
- their effect improved with time
#5 – Other Opinions – WINNER: Viviscal
I didn’t want to judge these 2 supplements only after how they worked for me.
For this reason – I tried to check out other customer’s opinions.
In this way, you can see the whole (unbiased) picture.
Now – it was hard to make a difference between Viviscal and Nutrafol:
- both have many positive reviews
- you can find many real opinions about them
Note: I only considered authentic customer reviews. I tried to avoid reviews from official website, as they tend to be all fake positive.
On Amazon, it has 3.5 stars out of 511 reviews.
Here are some of the most common things people say:
- Some people praise it for growing their hair much faster.
- Others say it’s great for thinning hair.
- There are some complaining it doesn’t work.
- A few others say it’s too expensive.
Now – it’s clear that a product can’t have only positive reviews, no matter how good it is.
But from what I saw, Nutrafol has about 75% positive opinions. So it’s clearly an effective supplement.
Compared to Nutrafol, Viviscal has some slightly better numbers.
It has 4 stars out of 233 reviews on Amazon – which is surely great.
Here’s what I could find about it:
- Many people say it works pretty well.
- Others claim to grows both hair and nails (and even body hair).
- A few complain they can’t see big changes.
Now – compared to Nutrafol, I found less negative reviews.
There are some, but the percent of satisfied customers is higher.
So I’m pretty sure Viviscal is effective for most people.
Viviscal has some slightly better results than Nutrafol.
There’s no big difference between them – but I found more positive reviews on Viviscal.
However, I personally experienced better results from Nutrafol.
So I believe both work about the same, it just depends from person to person.
#6 – Versions/Sizes – WINNER: Viviscal
It was pretty hard for me to pick a winner here:
- both have more than 1 version
- both have only 1 month supplies
However – Viviscal has a slightly wider range of products, if you ask me.
That’s why I chose it as the winner here.
First of all – it only comes as pills.
There’s no shampoo, conditioner and treatment – YET (the official website claims they will be available soon).
So here’s what versions of Nutrafol there are:
- Core Solutions (3) – the actual hair supplements in 3 versions.
- Targeted Boosters (7) – supplements that can help hair secondarily.
Now – when it comes to Targeted Boosters, they are actually supplements for:
- liver support
- sugar balance
- digestive enzymes
- and others
To be honest, I wouldn’t recommend any of them.
They won’t help your hair directly (the Core Solutions are meant for that). So why add some other pills besides the 4 from Nutrafol?
Things aren’t that complicated here.
Viviscal offers 4 kinds of products:
- Supplements – for women and for men
- Shampoo – for women and for men
- Conditioner – only for women
- Elixir – only for women
Now – I personally doubt the topical products are as effective as the pills.
I haven’t tried them myself, but it’s quite obvious.
They only work on the outside, while the pills do the inside job (which is the hardest).
So just like with Nutrafol, I would only recommend getting the supplement (at least at first).
Both Viviscal and Nutrafol have more than 1 product available.
However – Viviscal offers topical products, which Nutrafol doesn’t have at this point.
#7 – Price – WINNER: Viviscal
When it comes to expenses, it was pretty easy to choose.
Viviscal costs almost half as Nutrafol – so it’s a better deal overall.
Note: I will only analyze the price of the 2 supplements (without the other products from their range).
To make it short – the lowest price I could find is $79:
- that’s one month supply
- this price is available only if you go for auto-shipping
- otherwise, it costs around $88
To be honest – that’s extremely expensive for a hair supplement.
Besides, there are no larger bottles (which tend to have a better price overall).
That’s why I personally couldn’t afford Nutrafol for more than 2-3 months.
Compared to Nutrafol – it seems way cheaper.
However, I still consider it very expensive (compared to many other products):
- one month supply costs $50
- 3 months supply $120
- the price is the same for both versions (men and women)
So Viviscal does have an advantage here, compared to Nutrafol.
It offers the option to buy more bottles at one – and get a discount.
Additionally – it also has an auto-shipping program. The supplement costs $10 less in this case.
In terms of price, Viviscal is about $30 cheaper.
However – I still consider both of them extremely overpriced.
That’s why I would recommend choosing a much cheaper supplement ($25) that worked as well as them (in my case).
#8 – Where To Find Them – DRAW
Both Nutrafol and Viviscal are quite easy to find in most retailers.
Also, they both have an official website. But prices aren’t always that good.
I found it available in 3 retailers:
Besides, you can also find it on the official website.
But here’s the thing:
- The official website only sells with auto-shipping.
- You have to join their membership to be able to order.
- They also have the best price ($79 per bottle).
Now – if you don’t want to go for auto-shipping for more than 1 month, Amazon is the best choice.
Nutrafol costs about $88 – which may seem pricey. But it’s the lowest price I could find (outside the official website).
It’s also available on Amazon and Ebay.
And obviously – you can buy it directly from the official website:
- Prices are the same as on Amazon.
- You get the chance to buy 3 bottles at one.
- You will also get a discount in this way (about $30 off).
So my advice would be to start with a bottle.
In case you like it, buy the 3 bottles pack directly (because of the discount).
I would use the official website, as they also have sales and offer holidays coupons sometimes.
You can find more on that on my full review of Viviscal.
Both supplements are available on the official page – but also on different retailers.
That’s why it’s important to do your research before making any purchase:
- check all websites selling the product
- also see the shipping rates/taxes
- choose the cheapest seller overall
#9 – Clinical Trials – WINNER: Viviscal
First of all – I consider both Nutrafol and Viviscal one step ahead most supplements.
That’s because very few hair products have any research behind.
So Nutrafol and Viviscal both need to be praised for that.
However – Viviscal has more evidence behind, that’s why it’s the winner.
Note: I will only include the studies conducted on these supplements themselves (not on their ingredients).
There is a 2018 study conducted on it :
- done for women with thinning hair
- period was 6 months
- results were positive
- no side effects were reported
Basically – Nutrafol managed to improve hair density and stop shedding, according to this evidence.
I could find more than 1 clinical trials conducted on it, which is indeed impressive.
- First in 1992 – it compared Viviscal with fish extract for men with alopecia. 
- Second in 2012 – it evaluated Viviscal in women with thinning hair. 
- Last in 2015 – conducted on women with shedding and thin hair. 
All 3 studies had positive results.
So it’s quite obvious that all this fuss around Viviscal is real. The product does help.
Both supplements have clinical trials behind.
However – Nutrafol only has 1, while Viviscal has 3.
It’s true that Nutrafol is quite a recent product – so that might explain.
#10 – Pros & Cons
If you’re still not very sure whether you should buy Nutrafol or Viviscal…
Well – here’s a list with their advantages and downsides.
My Verdict – Nutrafol Or Viviscal?
Short answer: Probably Viviscal – since it scored better at most chapters:
- Nutrafol won 2 chapters
- Viviscal won 5 chapters
Now – it’s true that there were minor differences between them at some points.
But in my opinion, Viviscal was slightly better.
So if I were to choose a product out of these 2 – it would probably be Viviscal:
- they have a similar effect
- Nutrafol is a lot more expensive
Now – if you want my honest recommendation, it’s none of these 2 (neither Viviscal nor Nutrafol).
Instead, I recommend a product called Folexin:
- Excellent formula and ingredients (similar to Nutrafol).
- A lot cheaper (up to $18 per bottle).
- Worked as well as both Nutrafol and Viviscal (in my case).
Just like most (no brand) supplements – it doesn’t have any clinical trials behind.
But considering it’s 75% cheaper than Nutrafol – I say it’s worth the risk.
So if you can’t afford Viviscal or Nutrafol, that’s my #1 recommendation.
If you don’t care much about money – you can pick any of these 2 without any worries. Results are a must at one point.