Ever heard of Viviscal? Well – it’s one of my top recommended hair supplements.
- But which of its versions is better?
- And what’s the difference between them?
It’s time to confront 2 of its top versions – Viviscal Professional VS Extra Strength.
I tried to dig deep into both products, so that I can find out the hidden truth behind.
Note: This review is based on my opinion + research on these 2 products.
Professional OR Extra Strength? (In A Nutshell)
Honestly – the Extra Strength version is better (for an average person):
- A lot more accessible
- Lower price in general
- More previous customers and authentic reviews
- Several clinical trials behind
Now – the Professional form has a slightly better formula.
But that’s pretty much it.
You can’t buy it online and you have to find a nearby retailer (which isn’t usually a store).
Plus that it costs about $15 more and has fewer studies behind.
So at this point – I would choose the Extra Strength between these 2.
However, both products are extremely expensive – if you ask me.
If you want a cheaper alternative, take a look at my #1 recommendation.
It costs about $25 per bottle and does the same thing as Viviscal. So I personally prefer to use this one instead.
But out of these 2 forms of Viviscal- I would prefer the Extra Strength.
#1 – Ingredients – WINNER: Professional
The Professional version has a stronger formula:
- contains a few extra ingredients
- some compounds have higher dosages
- more powerful substances overall
But let’s analyze each product separately.
1. Extra Strength
It has the standard formula (that Viviscal is known best for):
Its main ingredient is an original compound (AminoMar) :
- contains shark cartilage and oyster powder
- boosts hair growth and health
- fights and prevents thinning
Other than AminoMar, the Extra Strength version also contains:
- Horsetail – it’s the best herb against thinning hair.
- Millet Extract – effective against hair loss and shedding. 
- Niacin – promotes hair fullness and volume. 
- Zinc – a low level can produce hair loss.
Overall – this formula is pretty good (but mostly due to AminoMar).
The other ingredients aren’t anything amazing.
As I said – compared to the Extra Strength, it has higher dosages and some extra ingredients:
Its #1 ingredient remains the AminoMar complex:
- dosage is 475 mg (vs 450 in Extra Strength version)
- stronger effect overall
- results should appear faster
Basically – that’s the main difference between those 2 versions.
Since AminoMar is a groundbreaking complex, an extra 25 mg can make a real difference.
Additionally, the Professional version also contains 3 extra ingredients:
- Apple Extract – increases hair density and stimulates follicles. 
- L-Methionine – promotes healthy hair formation.
- L-Cysteine – can reverse hair loss. 
On the other hand – it also lacks some compounds found in the other version.
However, their effect is less significant (Iron, Zinc, etc.).
Overall – the Professional version has a higher quality formula:
- main ingredient has a higher concentration
- higher dosages in general
- 3 extra compounds
It’s true that the Extra Strength also contains some ingredients you can’t find in the Professional version.
But they’re not very important (in terms of effect).
That’s why I consider Viviscal Professional’s ingredients better.
#2 – Pills & Dosages – DEUCE
Both versions of Viviscal are pretty similar at this chapter:
- require the same number of pills
- tablets look very similar
If the pills’ texture is an important factor for you – both products would do.
1. Extra Strength
The pills look like small tablets:
- yellowish color
- no taste
- small dimensions and round shape
However – there’s one thing I personally dislike about these pills.
They don’t have a gelatin cover, as most hair pills do.
Gelatin cover makes it easier to swallow the pills (even if they have larger dimensions).
Plus – gelatin has no taste, so you won’t get nauseous while taking the pills.
Even though Viviscal’s pills are quite small, they do have a weird taste (a bit bitter).
These pills are pretty much the same as the other version’s:
- round shape and small size
- no gelatin cover
- yellow color
So in terms of swallowing – they’re about the same level.
Honestly, they’re not my favorite pills in terms of looks/consistency.
But I love the fact that you only need 1 pill per day (and it’s the same for the Extra Strength version).
All versions of Viviscal are pretty similar at this chapter:
- pills look exactly the same
- you need the same quantity per day
So there’s no way to pick a winner here.
No matter which of the 2 version you would choose – their pills would look identical.
#3 – Results – WINNER: Extra Strength
As I only used the Extra Strength version – I won’t be able to compare the products based on my experience.
That’s why I tried looking at other users’ opinions:
- most people have used the Extra Strength version
- it generally has positive reviews
- I found very few opinions on the Professional form
But let’s take them by turn.
Note: I only considered authentic reviews, not promotional ones.
1. Extra Strength
This product has a rating of 4 stars out of 5 on Amazon (from 336 reviews).
So overall – users are satisfied with its effect:
- Some say it’s great for growing hair faster.
- Other praise its effect against hair loss.
- A few also claim it works with thickening and volume.
Generally, users are quite happy with the Extra Strength.
The biggest complaints are related to price – which I definitely agree with.
But overall, this version doesn’t have a lot of negative reviews (even though it doesn’t work for everyone).
First of all – I couldn’t find as many real users as with the other version.
Still, out of the reviews I found – most were positive:
- Some people say they could see a change in 2-3 months.
- Others claim their hair looks fuller and stronger.
- A few other mention it helps with volume.
- There are also some praising it for its anti-thinning effect.
Overall – most customers were satisfied with this version,
However, the most common complaint is poor or no effect.
This means the pills are not effective for everyone (and there are enough claiming so).
But I guess that’s quite normal.
Viviscal Extra Strength has far more reviews than the other version:
- most people praise its effect
- many say they could see a change fast
- less than 30% complaints
I personally have only tried this version and I was satisfied.
But I can’t really compare, since I never used the other one.
#4 – Availability – WINNER: Extra Strength
Viviscal’s standard version easily wins at this chapter:
- Professional form isn’t very easy to find
- Extra Strength version can be bought online
So if you want to try Viviscal – you will most likely get the Extra Strength form.
The other one can’t be bought so easily.
1. Extra Strength
This is the standard version of Viviscal.
And even though that doesn’t sound great – it’s extremely accessible.
You can find it in most big retailers, including:
- Amazon (even for international shipping)
- GNC, Walgreens or other supplement stores
Basically – it’s extremely easy to find, both online and offline.
Availability is probably the #1 downside of this version:
- Cannot be bought online anywhere
- Only available through physicians’offices
- You can also get it from certain salons/clinics
In case you want to buy Viviscal Professional, you can do this through their official website.
They will look for the closest retailer in your area (whether it’s a salon, clinic, etc.).
That’s definitely more complicated than ordering online.
But at this point – it’s the only option.
Viviscal Extra Strength is extremely easy to find online.
But things are totally different for the Professional form – which isn’t available in any retailer.
So in terms of availability, Extra Strength wins easily.
The Professional version has a few issues at this chapter.
#5 – Clinical Trials – WINNER: Extra Strength
As you might expect, Viviscal’s standard version has a lot more evidence behind:
- Extra Strength: 10 different studies overall
- Professional: 3 studies overall
Now – this includes all the testing done of the products.
However, not all of those studies are available for the public.
Still, Viviscal offers a booklet of those studies online.
1. Extra Strength
As I mentioned before – it has a total of 10 clinical evidence behind:
- first study was conducted in 1992
- last one appeared in 2014
So we’re obviously talking about a product with a long history.
Since the Extra Strength has always been Viviscal’s standard formula – most of the studies were conducted on it.
For this reason – if scientific evidence matters for you, this version is the best choice.
According to Viviscal’s website, this form has:
- 2 double blind clinical trials
- 1 conducted reserach
That makes a total of 3 studies – which is pretty good for a product that isn’t very accessible.
Just like the Extra Strength, its last study seems to be from 2014 (quite recent).
However, there’s quite a difference between 3 and 10.
Even though this form is definitely safe and effective – the other one has more evidence behind.
In terms of studies, Viviscal Extra Strength is better.
This may be due to its popularity or availability, that’s true.
But at the end of the day – it’s the number of studies that really matters.
And at this point, the Extra Strength version is above.
#6 – Price – WINNER: Extra Strength
In terms of money, the 2 versions are pretty close:
- both cost around $50 per bottle
- you can also find them in larger quantities
But overall – since it’s easier to find, the Extra Strength has way better offers.
1. Extra Strength
This version costs around $40-$50 per monthly supply.
As it’s sold in many different retailers, prices can really fluctuate:
- Amazon usually has the lowest prices
- it also offers free shipping
- you can also find good offers on Walgreens or GNC (but only sometimes)
So in terms of a constant low price, Amazon is probably the best for Extra Strength.
PS: I actually think $40 is a lot for a hair supplement. So even the cheaper version is really expensive, in my view.
First of all, I can’t tell you the exact price for this version.
Since it’s not available online – I could only take the rumors I found about its real cost.
And according to those:
- a bottle costs around $60
- you can sometimes get it for less (around $45)
- there’s also a 3 months supply that is cheaper
Basically – compared to the other version, this one is pricier.
I can’t tell you how much pricier, though (between $10-$15 probably).
Viviscal’s Professional version is more expensive than the Extra Strength one.
Considering it has higher dosages and extra ingredients, that’s totally fair.
Still – in terms of price, Extra Strength has to win this.
#7 – PROs & CONs
You’re still unsure about the version your should try?
Well – I tried to make a direct comparison between these 2.
So here are the good and the bad points for each of these 2 Viviscal versions.
1. Extra Strength
My Verdict – Viviscal Professional Or Extra Strength?
Short answer: Extra Strength – it scored better in most of the competing aspects:
- Professional version won 1 chapter
- Extra Strength form won 4 chapters
So at this point, I would recommend the Extra Strength.
It’s also the version I have tried personally – and overall, I was quite satisfied.
However, Viviscal is not my #1 recommended hair supplement:
- Too expensive for the money
- Not the most effective supplement in my case
Even though I consider it a great supplement, I prefer a cheaper alternative.
The supplement I constantly use (Folexin) costs $25 per bottle and worked even a bit better for me:
- stopped my hair loss completely in about 2 months
- made my hair grow a lot faster
- also helped with thinning
Since it works for both men and women – I personally think it’s a better choice right now.
It costs about $15 less and does the same thing as Viviscal.
So at this point – I don’t recommend any version of Viviscal, but Folexin.