It’s time to compare 2 of the best hair supplements I know – Folexin VS Nutrafol.
Both are awesome products (with many satisfied users and evidence behind). But the question is:
- Which works better for hair growth/loss?
- Which is a better choice on the long term?
- And lastly, which has the best quality/price ratio?
Well – I tried out both supplements myself, so I’ve seen what each can do.
And in this review – I will give you all the details you need.
Note: This review is based on my experience + research on these 2 products.
#1 – Ingredients – WINNER: Folexin
Though Nutrafol and Folexin has 2 totally different formulas – they are both among my favorites.
That’s why it’s hard to pick a clear winner:
- each formula has excellent ingredients
- most compounds come in high doses
If you ask me – these 2 formulas are probably the best among all hair supplements.
Honestly, I personally prefer Folexin’s composition a bit more.
But Nutrafol is pretty close – that’s why making the choice was hard.
1. Nutrafol’s Ingredients
Just like I said in my full review – this supplement has an excellent composition:
Its ingredients are actually divided in 3 groups:
- Nutrafol Blend: Horsetail, Resveratrol, BioPerine®, Capsimax® , etc.
- Synergen Complex: Marine Collagen, Ashwagandha, Saw Palmetto, BCM-95®, etc.
- Vitamins & Minerals : Vitamin A, C, D, Biotin, Iron , Zinc, etc.
Now – these ingredients themselves look amazing:
- some are trademarks (improved versions of the original substance)
- others are classic ingredients known for their hair benefits
However – Nutrafol’s formula has one major downside.
There are no doses listed out for every ingredient (only for the overall blend).
This means you can’t really tell how many Saw Palmetto is inside the Synergen Complex.
And that’s available for any other ingredient.
But other than that – Nutrafol has some awesome ingredients.
2. Folexin’s Ingredients
If you ask me – Folexin’s formula is the standard among quality hair supplements.
That’s because it combines:
- strongest hair herbs
- classic ingredients with major hair benefits
Just like Nutrafol – Folexin also contains 3 groups of ingredients:
- Proprietary Blend: Horsetail, Nettle Extract, Fo-Ti , Bamboo, Saw Palmetto, etc.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A, B1, B3, C, D3, E, Folic Acid, Biotin, etc.
- Minerals: Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Calcium, etc.
Basically – compared to Nutrafol, Folexin focuses more on herbs (which have by far the strongest effect on hair).
Plus, it also contains way more vitamins and minerals.
Though the last 2 groups don’t have a miraculous effect on hair – herbs do.
That’s why I always recommend hair supplements based on herbs.
So you can understand why I slightly prefer Folexin’s formula to Nutrafol’s.
Both supplements have an excellent composition (maybe the best one on the market, as I already said).
But for me – Folexin is the winner at this chapter:
- based on strongest hair herbs
- higher number of vitamins/minerals
- slightly better doses
I would give 51% to Folexin and 49% to Nutrafol.
Though the difference is very small – I personally consider Folexin’s formula to be more potent.
#2 – Studies – WINNER: Nutrafol
Nutrafol is one step ahead of Folexin at this chapter. First of all:
- 95% of hair supplements don’t have any clinical evidence behind
- that’s also available for supplements in general
- their ingredients alone are deeply studied
- but there is no study on the supplement itself
But Nutrafol is one of the few hair supplements with clinical evidence behind it.
Firstly, Nutrafol only has ONE study conducted on it.
That might not seem much (especially when compared with a supplement like Viviscal).
But compared to most hair supplements on the market, one study is surely enough.
Now – the study done on Nutrafol was made in 2016 :
- It was conducted on women with thinning hair.
- The results were positive.
- It improved hair fallout and increased density.
- There were no major side effects reported.
So from this point of view, Nutrafol is a product thoroughly tested and analyzed.
Like most supplements on the market – this product doesn’t have any study conducted on it alone.
That’s understandable, in one way:
- doesn’t have such a long history
- it’s only been on the market for 8 years (at most)
However – its ingredients alone are studied and most have excellent results in studies.
But obviously, that’s not the same as having the supplement itself clinically tested.
Nutrafol has one study conducted on it, while Folexin doesn’t have any.
So the winner is quite clear at this chapter.
In fact – Nutrafol has an advantage on most supplements from the market from this point of view.
Except for Viviscal, very few products are clinically tested at this point.
#3 – Pills & Dosage – WINNER: Folexin
In terms of capsules and how you should take them – Folexin pretty much deserves the win:
- smaller serving size
- lower numbers of pills per day
In other words – these 2 supplements have very similar pills (when it comes to dimensions).
But the difference lies in the number of pills required daily.
I personally compared Nutrafol’s pills with classic turmeric capsules:
- average size
- transparent gelatin cover
- orange powder inside
So from my point of view – these pills are quite easy to take.
However, the main problem of Nutrafol is dosage.
That’s because it requires 4 pills per day (that’s the standard serving size).
Taking 4 pills per day is quite hard – especially on the long term and if you want to space them out.
So I personally consider 4 pills/day quite uncomfortable to take.
This supplement’s pills are quite the regular hair capsules:
- average dimensions
- covered in gelatin
- whitish powder inside
Basically – they look exactly like Nutrafol’s capsules, but the powder has a lighter color (versus orange in Nutrafol).
However, there’s also a difference in terms of dosage.
Folexin only requires 2 pills per day, which is quite typical for a hair supplement.
But compared to Nutrafol – it’s much better (and easier to take, especially on the long term).
So Folexin clearly has an advantage here.
When it comes to dosage – Folexin is clearly a better choice.
Though both products have very similar capsules, Nutrafol requires taking 4 per day (which is a lot).
On the other hand – you only need to take 2 with Folexin, which is much easier.
So if serving size is important for you, Folexin is a much better option.
#4 – My Results – WINNER: Folexin
Folexin was the supplement I had best results with (among all the other products I tried).
Nutrafol was pretty close as well, to be honest.
But I had better results with Folexin overall – and it was also the supplement I continued to use over several years.
Anyway – here are my experiences with both products.
Note: My hair problems were fall out, thinning ends and breakage.
I tried this product long before I came across Folexin.
And in terms of results – I was way more satisfied than I had been with previous supplements.
But because of its huge price, I only afforded using 2 bottles of Nutrafol (so for 2 months):
- Hair loss decreased from the first month.
- After 2 bottles, it was considerably better.
- My hair also had more volume (especially in the roots).
- The ends were still thin, but they weren’t thinning as bad as before.
- It also seemed to grow almost twice as before.
This supplement claims to work in 3-4 months normally.
But in my case – the results were visible much faster (even after almost one month).
After seeing these improvements with Nutrafol, I started looking for a similar but cheaper alternatives.
And after many bad trials, I came across Folexin.
Honestly – this was the supplement that solved all my hair struggles.
It was one of the few that stopped my hair loss completely and made my hair grow almost 3x faster.
But out of those few products that did this – Folexin was the only affordable one.
I remember it was called Foligen back then and that it changed its name about 2-3 years ago.
But it’s still the exact same product.
- I could see an improvement in my hair loss in the first month.
- My hair wasn’t falling out as bad as before.
- In the 3rd month, it was already visibly longer.
- My hair loss reduced completely by then.
- Once I got rid of my thin ends, my hair started going like crazy.
- At one point, it was even growing almost 3 times faster than before.
- In a bit more than half a year, my hair grew around 6-7 inches.
In fact, here’s a picture of my progress (you can see more in my full review):
I have been using Folexin ever since, with shorter or longer breaks.
In fact – at the time I am writing this review, I am not taking it anymore because my hair looks great.
But I still have a bottle at home and I take the product at least once a year (for 2-3 months).
So I will surely be thankful to this product and its brand all my life.
I personally had really good results with both supplements:
- Folexin made real miracles for my hair
- Nutrafol only helped a lot
It’s true that I only used Nutrafol for about 2 months – so that’s not the most relevant period.
But that was simply because I couldn’t afford it.
On the other hand, Folexin was much cheaper and it also worked better for me.
So it’s surely the supplement I will always go for.
#5 – Other Opinions – WINNER: Nutrafol
In order to see how these 2 products worked for other people, I looked at their Amazon reviews.
But even so, it was really hard to pick a winner:
- they both have about the same average ranking
- Nutrafol has more total reviews
Since Nutrafol has more user opinions for the same average rating, I decided to choose it as the winner.
But to be fair, Folexin is pretty close.
As I said, this supplement has an average rating of 4 stars (3.9 to be more exact) on Amazon.
Consider it has over 1000 reviews at this point – that’s a decent number.
Here are the most common opinions I found about it:
- Some say it’s an excellent product for hair growth.
- Others claim it also helps shedding.
- Many believe it’s too pricey for its actual value.
- Enough users say it didn’t help them too much.
Now – the interesting is that most reviews from Nutrafol’s first page are negative.
In fact, most of them rated it as low as 1 star.
Out of these – most complain that the product didn’t work at all and that it’s extremely overpriced.
And considering its really high price, I tend to agree with the last aspect.
This supplement has an average rating of 4 stars out of 5 (which is really good).
But its main problem is the small number of reviews:
- there are only 36 in total at this point
- the supplement is mostly sold on its official website (better price)
- few people actually buy it from Amazon
So in one way – the lack of reviews is understandable.
Now – out of its few reviews, here’s what most say about it:
- Some claim they had excellent results with it.
- Others say it’s a much better alternative to pricier products.
- A few others mention it doesn’t cause any side effects.
- Others say it didn’t help them.
But overall – Folexin has a better general response compared to Nutrafol.
Its only downside is the low number of reviews.
Nutrafol and Folexin have about the same average rating.
However – Folexin’s opinions are slightly better (in terms of customer satisfaction).
Still, Nutrafol is way more popular so it has many more user reviews.
That’s why it’s pretty much the winner here.
#6 – Side Effects – WINNER: Folexin
From this point of view, both supplements are pretty safe.
But considering that Nutrafol has way more user reviews – it also has more complaints on side effects.
On the other hand, Folexin has few authentic opinions – and obviously, less side effects reviews.
This supplement has a pretty concentrated formula (based on many trademark compounds).
That’s why it also has a higher risk of side effects:
- The most common reaction seems to be stomach cramps.
- Digestive problems like nausea, pain or diarrhea are also common.
- There are also complaints on headaches, rashes, irritation, etc.
Besides – Nutrafol also contains a huge dose of biotin, which causes side effects in high concentrations.
Obviously – the supplement doesn’t cause side effects often.
But out of its over 1000 reviews, there are about 20 side effects complaints.
So it surely has this risk.
In terms of formula – Folexin’s ingredients don’t cause side effects that often.
That’s mostly because it’s based on herbs (which are much safer than other compounds).
Plus – as I said, it has very few user reviews on Amazon.
So it’s less likely to find one that talks about its side effects. Even so:
- there are 3 reviews mentioning “side effects”
- all claim Folexin had no side effect in their case
Now – this supplement surely causes some minor side effects to some people (at one point).
But overall, the risk is very low.
Much lower compared to other supplements (including Nutrafol).
In terms of secondary reactions, Folexin seems safer than Nutrafol:
- no real complaint among its user reviews
- ingredients with a lower risk of side effects
So if you have a history with side effects from supplements, Folexin would be my recommendation.
#7 – Price – WINNER: Folexin
At this chapter, Folexin is clearly the winner.
As for Nutrafol – it’s surely among the priciest hair supplements I know (if not the priciest).
So it’s really easy to choose between these 2 products in this aspect.
The best place to buy Nutrafol is its official website:
- lowest price is $79/bottle
- that’s only if you sign-up for auto-shipping
- otherwise the price is $88/bottle
Now – Nutrafol is also sold on Amazon and its price is also $88/bottle there.
So if you don’t agree with auto-shipping (which I don’t even recommend), you can buy it from any.
But to be honest, $88 (or even $79) per bottle is way too much.
That’s even the reason why I stopped using Nutrafol after 2 months – even though it was helping me.
Considering the ingredients it has, I don’t think Nutrafol should cost more than $35.
So I really don’t recommend it from this point of view.
Opposite to Nutrafol, Folexin is probably the cheapest supplement of this quality:
- its standard price is $25/bottle
- you can even get it for about $18/bottle
- that’s because it offers a massive discount for larger orders
So if you ask me – price is the biggest advantage of Folexin.
It surely has a great formula and dosage – but its price is much better than all those features.
So it’s the main reason why I’m using this supplement on a constant basis.
And it’s also the main reason why it’s my #1 recommendation in hair supplements.
In terms of price, it’s pretty easy to pick the winner.
Nutrafol is probably the priciest hair supplement I know – while Folexin is the cheapest.
(I’m only referring to high-quality supplements).
So if money matters to you, I strongly recommend going for Folexin instead of Nutrafol.
It’s a much better deal for about the same effect, after all.
My Verdict – Folexin Or Nutrafol?
Short answer: Definitely Folexin – because it scored better in most chapters:
- Folexin won 5 chapters
- Nutrafol only won 2 chapters
Obviously, each product has its own advantages.
But overall – Folexin is a much better choice from most points of view:
- Slightly better formula (which is mostly based on herbs).
- Lower serving size (2 pills per day).
- My personal results with it were better.
- No complaints on side effects.
- Much lower price per bottle.
As for Nutrafol, it surely scores better when it comes to the studies behind it.
But in terms of customer feedback – it’s very similar to Folexin.
So I personally would surely go for Folexin between these 2 products.
It simply does the same (in terms of hair effect) but it costs over $60 less.
So if you want to:
- spend your money wisely
- get the best hair supplement for the quality
… well, in this case – I strongly recommend Folexin.