We all dream about finding those perfect hair straighteners that don’t damage hair at all, don’t we? But the bad news is that there aren’t such flat irons, that don’t cause the smallest harm. I haven’t found any, so far…
BUT…there are some really good hair straighteners that, if used with the right products, can cause very little to no damage.
These are the ones I want to show you today, as they make a great solution if you’re a hair straightener addict. 😉
7. Rusk Heat Freak Professional ($49.95)
The Rusk Heat Freak Professional is an very good flat iron, worth having if you want a good straightener and you’re not willing to pay a huge amount of money. The light design, good facilities and the affordable price make it reach number 5 on my top.
In case you’re wondering why it’s not higher in my top…Well, let’s just say that despite its nice qualities, there are other straighteners with much better features and prices. Anyway, I’ve tried to summarize its advantages and downsides, so here they are:
- It works great for every type of hair, but if course, a bit faster on thinner hair
- The maximum heat it can reach is 450 degrees (F), which is about 230 degrees Celsius
- The best price I’ve found is on Amazon (around $50), which doesn’t seem very much to me
- The warranty they offer is one year
- This flat iron has a very light weight and also a great design, that makes it seem very professional, and it actually is so, at least, for its price
- The temperature has to be set manually using the button from one side (this probably isn’t a downside, I just wrote it here in case you want to compare it with more modern tools)
- It doesn’t have an auto shut-off button, so you have to pay attention not to let it turned on
- If you buy it from Amazon they won’t also give you the case (I don’t understand why, but that’s it)
6. Remington S7230 Wet 2 Straight ($24.99)
If you need a 2 in 1 flat iron and styling tool, this is the perfect choice.
This amazing product from Remington is great if you’re in a hurry and you don’t have time to both dry and style your hair, simply because it’s a straightener designed for both dry and wet hair.
That’s a pretty cool feature in my opinion, at least for me it’s great to be able to straightener my hair when it’s completely wet. But anyway, here is more about it:
- It works great for both dry and wet hair, so it can be used to straighten hair or to dry and straighten it directly
- The indicators will tell you if the temperature is good enough for wet hair (which is easier to damage while straightening), and it does the same thing for dry hair
- When it comes to straightening the hair, I could say it’s doing a pretty good job
- The soy hydra complex promises to protect hair from damage, and it actually does so
- It has a auto shut-off button (1 hour)
- The time it needs in order to heat up is 30 seconds
- The price is more than great, I mean I don’t know if there’s another flat iron with all these facilities
- Probably the only one I can find is the short warranty (just 90 days), so it could get broken faster
5. CHI Air Expert Tourmaline ($76.97)
Most of its reviews are great, but I guess it would be better to see by yourself if you need it or not. I can’t say it’s my personal favorite when it comes to hair straighteners, but it’s one of the items I really like. So, before giving you any more details, here are the pros and cons:
- A great option it has is the “Mode” button which helps you select the ideal temperature for your hair type (lower for straight hair and higher for thick, curly hair)
- The Tourmaline plates protect hair from damage
- It straightens very well, both fine and thick hair
- Perfect for daily use
- A possible possible downside is that it doesn’t have an auto shut-off function
4. Lanxime Ceramic Tourmaline ($49.99)
This ionic hair straightener is perfect for people who are always travelling and want a styling tool that would be easy to carry and that would fit their luggage. I’m one of them, and I was really satisfied with it when it comes to this.
Also, when it comes to damage protection, I can say that it does what it promises. Not more, but what it promises.
If you want a smart hair straightener and you don’t have a very high budget, you might find a great solution in this product. I did, so in my case it turned out to be really useful. These being said, let’s check the pros and cons:
- Works well on any type of hair, even thick coarse hair
- Thanks to its 1 inch tourmaline ionic plates, it manages to control and protect the hair deeply
- You also receive a heat resistant glove, a travelling bag and a leave in treatment with Argan Oil to prevent against heat damage
- Temperature can be adjusted anywhere between 240 to 400 F
- Has dual voltage, so it can be used anywhere in the world
- The price is pretty good, I would say
- It doesn’t have an auto shut-off function
- Maybe it is a bit too small for my taste, but that’s just a personal preference
3. CHI Original 1″ Ceramic ($59.95 on sale right now)
This will always remain one of my favorite flat irons, simply because it is absolutely fantastic. You only have to look at it to realize it’s not just a cheap imitation, but a great quality product.
While I was writing this post, I was extremely happy to find this straightener on a great sale, more than half of the initial price, $89, which is quite normal for its great quality.
So, if you’re reading this post and you’re interested in buying a great flat iron, you absolutely have to check it out, maybe you’re lucky and you still find it on sale. I did 😀
Anyway, let’s take a look at the Pros and Cons:
- It offers a great damage protection thanks to the its design
- If you need a flat iron for quotidian use, this is just perfect for you
- In case you’re in a rush, you should know that it turns off automatically, thanks to the auto shut-off function
- It is perfect for every type of hair, including coarse, thick hair, which it manages to tame very easy
- The warranty is 2 years
- The normal price is probably a bit high for a regular budget ($99)
2. LumaBella Keratin ($99 on sale right now)
And believe it or not, it really manages to do it. It surprised me a lot (in the good way), as I didn’t really expect such a professional tool. So it was really worth buying in my case 🙂
So if you want a modern, professional hair straightener and you’re ready to pay an over-average amount of money, you might be interested in this one, so take a close look at the pros and cons.
- Straightens extremely well (one of the best I’ve seen actually), but maybe that’s quite normal at this price
- Either you straighten hair, curl it or make it wavy, I was impressed that it lasts pretty long, much longer than while using other flat irons; I thought this only had to do with each person’s hair type, not with the flat iron you use, but apparently the flat iron matters a lot
- When it comes to temperature, you can choose from 180 to 450 degrees F
- Works pretty good at a lower temperature (like 180 degrees)
- Of course that if you have thick, frizzy hair you would need a higher temperature, but it still straightens quite well even if the temperature isn’t as high as you would normally use
- Promises to prevent frizzy hair and it does really this extremely well
- Has dual voltage, so it also works in Europe
- I absolutely loved the box, it has a velvet cover and it feels so soft
- Doesn’t damage the hair very much thanks to its great design and also to its ability to work great with a lower temperature than normal
- It doesn’t have an auto shut-off button, which I think would be necessary at this level
1. BabyLiss PRO Nano Titanium ($129.95 on sale now)
If you want to invest in a very high-quality, smart flat iron, then this is the ideal choice for you. This incredible iron is specially designed for professional use, but I was lucky enough to buy it for myself.
And ever since, I didn’t really use another one. So that’s why I placed it right on top – it’s doubtless the best straightener I’ve ever used.
Just take a look at its titanium plates. They are the best guarantee that your hair will be safe and healthy in the hands of this iron.
So you are willing to invest into a straightener that would not last for a few months, this is the best one for you.
- The hair protection is obvious, thanks to the titanium plates, which emit negative ions while straightening. This process causes way less damage than the normal, ceramic plates straightening, so it might even not cause the slightest damage.
- The buttons are placed in the middle, in this way they claim them to be easier to access for both right-handers and left-handers (I’m not really sure if this is true, for me it doesn’t matter much)
- One of the lightest straighteners I came across
- You might find it on sale on Amazon
- The only possible one could be the high price, but if you’re ready to invest in a professional flat iron it may not be that much
So what is the secret when choosing a good hair straightener?
Despite the fact that it is almost impossible to find a flat iron that would not harm your hair at all, there do exist some that produce very little damage, which, associated with some good styling products and hair care treatments, can make the hair straightening a daily process with no or very little damage.
That’s great news, isn’t it? 😀 Now the problem is choosing the hair straightener and the styling products, so that you can flat iron your hair everyday without any worries.
Probably the worst thing I’ve noticed when it comes to flat irons is that their quality (and therefore the ability to produce as little damage as possible) is directly proportional to their price. In other words, the better the flat iron is, the more expensive it is 🙁
Anyway, I would never pay a lot of money for a hair straightener, even if I knew that it doesn’t damage hair at all.
My Final Verdict
So these are the 7 hair straighteners that don’t damage hair too much, if they are used according to instructions.
My #1 favorite remains the Victoria Tourmaline one, which has some amazing features but a really high price too.
So if you afford paying so much for a straightener, I really advise you to do it because you’re investing your money on a tool that will last a really long time, I say this from my experience (and it’s a similar case with Jolie Armour’s straightener).
However, if this flat iron is too expensive for your budget (which is totally fine, I couldn’t always afford paying so much money on it), then I would recommend you one like Xtava Inflared or HSI Ceramic Tourmaline.
So now at the end, I really hope that my choices were useful to you because as I said, you know best of all what exactly you need and what exactly you can afford, so you will decide according to this. But don’t forget that it’s extremely important to choose a high quality flat iron, that won’t damage your hair too much.
If you take a look at my selection, you will see that these are all high quality hair straighteners, so if you ever need some good ideas, remember my post. 😉
Have you ever tried any of these 7 hair straighteners that don’t damage hair? Which of them would you like to try?