It’s time to review Tresemme Keratin Smooth Shampoo. At first sight, it looks like a great product for a really low price.
But is it too good to be true? I stopped being impressed by this shampoo once I started using it.
So what’s the truth behind Tresemme? I tried to analyze each of its aspects.
Note: This review is based on my personal experience with Tresemme.
So Let’s Get To The Review
Full Name: Keratin Smooth Shampoo by Tresemme
Sizes: Only one – 22 oz
Best Actual Price: Around $20
Cheapest Place To Buy: Ebay, because they have the lowest prices ever. But you can find it on Amazon too.
Designed For: Frizzy and dry hair, but also for hair that tangles easily.
However, you can use it for any kind of hair (even oilier one).
My Rating: 7 out of 10
Worth Buying?: Not really. It’s a great shampoo for the money – but it caused me some serious problems:
- really bad itching on my scalp
- hair loss
Besides – I read many reviews of people complaining about the same things.
So there might be something not right about their formula (at least for some people).
What I Liked About It
- Smooths and softens hair pretty well (combined with the conditioner)
- Lathers enough
- Really cheap
- One bottle contains 22 oz (which is a high quantity)
- You can find it in many shops and retailers
What I Didn’t Like About It
- Except keratin, there’s no major ingredient
- Pretty strong smell (for my taste)
- Works much better with the conditioner
- Only the 22 oz form available
- Produced me a scalp irritation and a hair loss
- Many reviews complained about the same issues
#1. Ingredients (8 out of 10)
To be honest – Tresemme’s ingredients aren’t too impressive.
Maybe that’s why they don’t mention them too much (as other shampoos do).
Except keratin, there isn’t any major ingredient. But let’s take a look at the most important ones.
1. Hydrolyzed Keratin – it has several benefits:
- strengthens the hair
- controls the frizz
- helps smooth dry hair
I like that Tresemme uses the hydrolyzed form. This means the keratin is made of smaller pieces – which can penetrate the hair shaft better.
2. Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil – that’s actually the Marula oil from the label:
- nourishes and hydrates hair ends
Basically – it does the same as any hair oil. So I don’t see it as something incredible.
3. Other Ingredients – these are mostly:
- thickeners and substances responsible for texture
Conclusion: Except the keratin – there’s nothing essential. So the ingredients don’t look that amazing as I expected.
#2. Texture & Smell (8.50 out of 10)
From this point of view – Tresemme is surely not my favorite shampoo.
Here’s what I can tell about how it looks:
1. Texture – it’s pretty normal, as most shampoos:
- whitish color
- pretty lights
- it lathers pretty well – compared to other shampoos
So there’s nothing I could complain about it – it looks just like any shampoo.
2. Smell – to be honest, I’m not its biggest fan:
- really strong
- stays in your hair until the next wash (for me that wasn’t a good thing)
Now – the smell itself isn’t bad, it feels really fresh. But to me – it feels way too strong to like it.
But as I said – it’s probably just a personal preference, it doesn’t smell bad.
3. How It Works (6 out of 10)
For frizzy and dry hair, Tresemme works pretty well:
- softens most hair strands
- my hair was smoother and silkier than before
Now – I used this shampoo together with the conditioner. So I assume the conditioner was the main responsible for that.
But either way, I had 2 major problems while using this shampoo:
1. Itching – it caused me a pretty bad allergy:
- my scalp was itching for the next 2 days
- it happened all the time after using this shampoo
Now – I rarely get an allergy to products (even less to shampoos). So it was pretty weird to me – but I’m sure it was this shampoo causing it.
Plus, I read many reviews complaining about the same issues.
2. Hair Loss – I don’t know if it’s related to the itch, but here’s it is:
- my hair started falling out pretty badly
- it all started about 1 week after I began using Tresemme
- when I stopped it, things started getting better
- but once I tried it again, my hair loss came back
Plus – my hair was falling out pretty massively. So it wasn’t just in my head.
I also checked out other people’s opinion – and it seems that Tresemme really causes hair loss to some.
Conclusion: Tresemme works okay in terms of smoothing frizzy hair.
But considering these 2 major problems – I would probably stay away from it, if I were you.
#4. How To Apply It (10 out of 10)
At this chapter – I think it’s best to listen to the label.
You basically have to apply Tresemme just like any other shampoo:
- Add a small quantity on your wet hair.
- Massage until there’s enough lather.
- Rinse your hair.
Now – I would recommend you to apply it just once per wash.
As I said, it can irritate your scalp. So if you apply it twice – there are higher chances that you get an itching.
Plus – there’s also the hair loss problem.
Here’s another thing to keep in mind:
- it’s recommend to use it together with the conditioner
- the smoothing results are much better when used together
Obviously, it’s up to you. But I would advise you to try the shampoo first and see if your body tolerates it.
There’s no point buying the conditioner as well if you can’t use it, right?
#5. Versions (6 out of 10)
Unfortunately – you can only find this shampoo in one form:
- a 22 oz bottle
Unlike most shampoos, it doesn’t have any larger or smaller quantities.
To be honest – that’s a pretty big downside. In this way – you are forced to buy this kind of large bottle from the first time.
Also, in case you like it – you can’t get a bigger size for a better price.
So Tresemme gets a pretty low mark from me here – it’s not very versatile.
#6. Price (9.50 out of 10)
In my opinion – that’s the best chapter of Tresemme.
For a shampoo that claims to be so professional, it’s pretty cheap:
- one bottle costs around $20
- the exact price depends on where you buy it from – but it’s around that number
- a bottle has 22 oz – which is a lot
Actually – it’s not the price that makes Tresemme so cheap, it’s the quantity.
Many shampoos have a similar price – but also half of that quantity.
So at this chapter, I have nothing to criticize about it.
However – they may be selling it for such a low price because of the possible side effects.
I can’t really tell… but it’s surely very affordable for this quantity.
#7. Other Opinions (7 out of 10)
I tried to find some other reviews on Tresemme, in order to judge it fairly.
Note: I only considered those reviews that were authentic, not general ones.
But unfortunately – the news weren’t amazing:
- many people were satisfied with it (mostly because of the price)
- there were also many who criticized it severely
- most of them complained of hair loss and scalp allergies
So basically – the same problems I experienced.
Plus – there were quite a lot of people mentioning similar things about these 2 problems.
So to me – one thing is clear about Tresemme:
- it can cause serious problems to some people
- they all go away after you stop using it
Feel free to check out the reviews from Amazon, to see for yourself. But these 2 things are some really serious problems of this shampoo.
#8. Final Conclusions
Here’s how I would sum up this Tresemme shampoo – in 3 conclusions:
1. Really Affordable – if you’re on a tight budget, it can be a great choice:
- around $20 for 22 oz
- lasts over a month normally
Obviously, cheaper doesn’t usually mean better. But if you really can’t afford more, it’s a pretty high quantity for that price.
2. Pretty Allergic – this shampoo can cause serious problems to your scalp:
- redness and itching
- you feel the need to scratch continuously
I’ve experienced this myself – so I can tell for sure. Plus, there are many people complaining about the same issue in reviews.
So there’s probably something wrong with Tresemme’s formula.
3. Dangerous For Hair Loss – if itching wasn’t enough, Tresemme can cause another problem:
- hair starts falling out massively
- it could be because the scalp allergy it produces
- or it could have another cause
But one thing is clear – Tresemme produced hair loss in many people (including me).
So if you’re already losing hair – I think you should stay away from it.
My Verdict – Is Tresemme Worth Buying?
Short answer: It depends on your budget.
If you really need a cheap shampoo that works decently – it’s one of the best choices.
However, Tresemme causes some serious problems to many people (including me):
- massive hair loss
- itchy and red scalp
So I wouldn’t take this risk for $20. There are many other great products for a similar price – but they don’t have so many complaints and negative reviews.
For this reason – I wouldn’t buy this Tresemme shampoo.
You can get something better for a similar amount of money. So why buy something that may actually harm you?
That’s my final opinion about it.