It’s time to review Monat Hair Care products – a brand offering all sorts of hair products.
However, it’s a brand I’m seriously questioning:
- many complaints all over the Internet
- expensive products
- very few positive reviews from customers
So is Monat a scam? Most users claim it is.
Well – I tried to dig deep into this brand and find out the truth myself.
Note: This review is based on my own opinion + research on Monat products.
So Let’s Get To The Review
Full Name: Hair Care Line from Monat
Versions: It has over 20 products – for different problems:
So it has pretty much everything when it comes to hair care.
Best Actual Price: Starting from $35 to over $100 (depending on the product).
Cheapest Place To Buy: Amazon (though it doesn’t sell all products)
Still – all of them are far more expensive on Monat’s official website.
Designed For: Various hair problems, depending on the line you choose.
My Rating: 4 out of 10
Worth Buying?: I wouldn’t recommend it:
- too many complaints about the brand/products
- super high prices
- better options available
I personally prefer a $25 supplement that made real miracles for my hair.
Considering lots of users criticize Monat, I would try to avoid it and choose something else instead.
What I Liked About It
- All products contain good ingredients
- Many trademark substances inside every product
- Nice smell and texture
- Directions are really clear and detailed
What I Didn’t Like About It
- Many negative reviews about it
- Some users claim to have experienced serious side effects
- All products are very overpriced
- Prices are lower on Amazon (than on Monat’s website)
#1 – Ingredients (9 out of 10)
First of all – all of Monat’s products are meant for topical use (no pills).
Still, most of its products have pretty good formulas:
- based on natural ingredients
- no harmful additives
- each products contains several trademark substances
Compared to other topical products – Monat’s ones seem superior (as ingredients).
Now – I won’t be able to take each product separately, as there are over 20.
But here are the key ingredients (according to Monat’s website):
- Fiber Rescue™ – reconstructs every strand from the roots.
- Rejuvenique S™ – it’s an oil that hydrates hair correctly.
- Fision KeraVeg 18 – it’s a vegan alternative to keratin (strengthens hair).
- Murumuru Seed Butter – hydrates and nourishes roots and ends.
- Bamboo Seed Extract – it’s really effective for lubricating roots.
- Crodasorb – it’s a strong antioxidant.
- Capixyl – it’s a complex designed to prevent and decrease hair loss.
- PatcH20™ – moisturizes hair very intensely.
Basically – Monat’s products contain some pretty unique ingredients (which is a great advantage).
So at this chapter, they look great.
All products from Monat have great formulas:
- several trademark compounds
- ingredients that you can’t find in any product
- vegan based
So judging only after their ingredients – these products look excellent.
It’s true they have other major downsides. But regarding ingredients – there’s no much to criticize.
#2 – Smell & Texture (8 out of 10)
Monat’s products are all pretty similar at this chapter.
I haven’t tested out any of them myself – but here’s what people say:
- pretty intense fragrance
- smells like menthol/camphor
- scent stays in the hair for at least 1 day
Basically – the smell is herbal and very refreshing.
However, some people say it’s a bit too strong overall.
This varies depending on the product you’re using:
- most of them have a whitish color
- shampoos generally lather very well
- for this reason, you don’t need a large amount per wash
- conditioner has a similar texture
- serums are usually lighter
But overall, I didn’t find too many complaints about these products’ consistency.
This makes me think they are pretty good at this chapter.
#3 – How To Use Them (10 out of 10)
Monat is a brand that offers excellent directions about their products.
However – the exact instructions depend on the line:
- Hydration products are applied normally (shampoo, conditioner, mask).
- Anti-damage products have a different order.
- It’s recommended to start with the conditioner and then use the shampoo.
So it actually depends a lot on what kind of products you’re using.
But don’t worry:
- each product has excellent directions
- most don’t have to be used daily
Also – the label recommends associating any products with additional ones (from the same line).
For instance, their shampoo for thinning hair claims to work best with the conditioner.
However – that’s not always the case.
So if you only afford to buy the shampoo, just stick to it.
#4 – Results (4 out of 10)
As I said – I haven’t tried any of Monat’s products personally.
So I won’t be able to share any thoughts from experience.
However, I tried to look for other customers’ opinions – in order to create a real review.
Note: I only considered authentic reviews, not promotional ones.
1. What People Say
First of all – here’s what you should know:
- Monat has over 70% complaints (out of all reviews)
- most are related to their customer service
- few people complain about the products themselves
In other words – Monat’s products are great, but their service is terrible.
So here’s what most people say about it:
- Some say they really helped their hair grow out.
- Others claim it softened and strengthened it.
- A few others praise its general effect.
- Some say it made their hair fall out even worse.
- Others mention it started drying out more often than before.
Now – Trust Pilot has over 700 negative reviews on this brand.
And as I said, most aren’t about the products but about the company’s practices.
2. Biggest Complaints
Here’s what most reviewers from Trust Pilot criticize:
- Very high price
- Staff is extremely rude
- Cancelling your order is impossible
- You have to pay $25 to cancel auto-shipping
- They send you the products even after cancelling
- You can’t receive the products yourself (only through a market partner)
Honestly, these are some really serious problems.
Some people even claim this company is a scam, due to using tricky practices to attract customers.
I personally tend to agree up to a point.
Now – there are some people who were unsatisfied about the products as well.
But overall, they are quite a few.
In fact – here’s a review that sums up Monat’s offer really well:
Monat has way too many complaints to be a legit company:
- products are pretty good overall
- staff and company’s policies are harshly criticized
So I personally would never recommend this brand.
My advice is to use a supplement instead of a topical product – as the result is much better (and faster overall).
Not to mention that the price is more than 50% lower.
#5 – Price (3 out of 10)
Honestly – Monat’s products are extremely expensive.
It’s true they contain many original ingredients,
But even so – I don’t know too many topical products that would cost so much.
1. The Exact Price
First of all – Monat’s official website has different prices:
- As a regular customer, you’re buying at a “retail price”.
- You can also buy the VIP package.
- This offers you 15% discount for each order and free shipping.
- You also get also features, but they’re not that relevant.
Basically – many users go for VIP because the discount seems significant.
However, in order to cancel this membership – you have to pay around $25.
Monat has a lot of rules mentioned in less accessible parts of their website.
That’s why it’s important to study everything correctly.
Now – where can you find the lowest prices? On Amazon:
- prices are usually around $5 less than the VIP discounted price on Monat
- that’s over $10 less from the retail price
- shipping is also free in most cases
However – Amazon doesn’t sell all of Monat’s products.
That’s the only downside.
2. Worth It Or Not?
The products themselves aren’t bad – even though they don’t work for everyone.
But if you’re buying Monat from Amazon, it might be worth it.
Otherwise – I wouldn’t recommend it.
However, I would suggest using supplements instead:
- better and faster effect overall
- lower price
Most of Monat’s products are very pricey (serums/treatments are around $99).
Considering each bottle has less than 5 oz, they’re really not worth the money.
At least that’s my own opinion.
#6 – Where To Find It (8 out of 10)
Monat’s products are normally sold on its official website.
But I wouldn’t recommend buying them from there:
- prices are at least $10 higher
- getting a refund is really hard
- company isn’t completely honest and customer-friendly
Considering all those negative reviews about Monat, I don’t advise you to purchase from them.
Still – their products aren’t bad at all.
And fortunately, you can find some of them on Amazon (for a few dollars less).
So I personally would suggest buying from this retailer instead.
It’s true that you won’t find all products, to be honest.
But you might be lucky and find the one you need.
#7 – FAQs
Coming up – I will try to answer the top questions about Monat.
Note: I might repeat something I already mentioned, but it’s easier to spot here.
1. How long do the products last?
Normally – a bottle is designed to last one month.
But since all products are topical, it really depends on the quantity you use, frequency, etc.
2. How often you should use them?
Most of Monat’s products are meant to be used 2/3 times a week.
In other words – whenever you wash your hair.
However, it pretty much depends. So make sure to check the label first.
3. Can you use them with other products?
Definitely – whether those other products are drugs, creams or topical products.
4. Are there any side effects?
Some people mentioned issues like:
- worsened hair loss
- irritations and scalp rashes
They do seem more common than in other products (judging after the number of reviews).
But I’m not 100% sure they appear very often.
5. How fast should you notice a change?
That depends on several factors:
- your hair’s condition
- the exact product line you’re using
- how often you are using the products
Unless you’re using them for hair growth/loss – you should see some changes from the first weeks.
#8 – Final Conclusions
Here’s how I would sum up my opinion on Monat’s products (in 3 ideas).
1. Strong Ingredients
If you ask me – all of Monat’s products have promising formulas:
- each contains at least 1 trademark ingredient
- many active compounds
- quality substances overall
It’s true that I’m not a fan of topical products.
In terms of effect – they’re way weaker than supplements.
But compared to other topical products – Monat has some great ingredients, actually.
2. Extremely Expensive
Honestly – Monat has some huge prices:
- shampoos cost around $40 per bottle
- conditioners are about the same
- serums/treatments are around $99 per bottle
However, the same products cost even $10 less on Amazon (including shipping).
Still – the prices are way too high, even for some high quality ingredients.
3. Dangerous Company
That’s what many previous customers claim:
- more than 50% negative reviews on Monat
- company seems to not keep their promises
- cancelling an order is really hard
Plus – some users claim the products are pretty harmful actually.
I can’t tell, since I never used them myself.
But as for the company – there are way too many complaints to trust this brand.
My Verdict – Is Monat A Scam?
Short answer: Not really – it’s a legit brand with real products.
However, it has enough problems:
- Many negative reviews and complaints (from previous users)
- Extremely high prices
- You can’t buy the products directly (only through a “market partner”)
- Orders seem to be hard to cancel
Besides – some users claim their products are pretty dangerous (in terms of side effects).
I personally have not tried any, so I can’t tell.
But in terms of ingredients, Monat’s products look quite good.
However – I personally would not recommend them.
Since they’re only meant for topical use, the effect is not as fast and strong as with other products.
That’s why I would recommend supplements instead:
- effect appears much faster (even after 1 month)
- better results overall
- price is much lower
- work for both men and women
Since Monat has so many complaints online, I personally would try to avoid it.
But it’s your own choice what products you decide to try.